Saturday, September 8, 2012

Frankenbike

My Art Bike is finally to the point that it can be ridden and enjoyed. I do foresee some fussing with in the future.  This started as part of a workshop for our Makerspace and has been backburnered for some time, only to be moved to the forefront by a request to join my friend and fellow maker Jeff in a parade this coming Sunday.

The bike is a Raleigh 26" bike front end and a kids coaster 20" bike at the back.  Bent steel tubing in the middle.  The handle bars are extended with some galvanized pipe I found in the dumpster at work.  The "head" is an old schwinn bike seat...hard to see but it's teeth are tiny skull beads.  I wrapped the handle bars in silver craft wire and also parts of the frame. 

Here is the progression of my frankenbike.
Pieces Parts



Together, only one peddle and two flat tires

Handles bars are bent and I trust it to sit on....

Pretty much complete, rides pretty well, not too squirrely.

A view from the front

The "hood ordainment"

Update: The parade was so much fun.  Afterwards we brought the bike and the derby racer to a local music festival that our Makerspace had a booth at (MannaFest).  The bike and racer were kid magnets.  We let them sit in the racer, and wheeled them around on the bike.  Enjoyed the entire day very much!


No comments:

Post a Comment